Cooktop Cove: Use ham slices as a wrapper & get ready to enjoy the most heavenly low carb meal yet
The recipe below makes a great low-carb ham-and-cheese burrito packed with protein. It's perfect for those on the journey to building muscle, and it's incredibly easy to make. I like to make the full recipe and eat it throughout the week after a nice, long workout.
We use ham instead of tortillas as the wrap to hold this burrito together. We saute onions and garlic in butter until tender, then add the eggs and cook to a soft scramble. After melting in cheese, we turn off the heat and stir in spinach. Tomatoes add just the right amount of acidity. It's all wrapped up using the ham, then thrown into the broiler to slightly toast.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, small diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups baby spinach
1 cup small-diced tomatoes
20 slices ham
1. Melt butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until onion is tender, then add the eggs. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Cook eggs for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until they reach a soft scramble. Add cheddar cheese and mix until melted. Turn off heat.
3. Stir in spinach and allow to wilt from the residual heat. Add tomatoes and mix well.
4. Overlap two pieces of ham. Place about ½ cup of the egg mixture on the ham. Roll as if a burrito.
5. Repeat with the remaining slices of ham and eggs.
6. Place each roll into a casserole dish. Set under the broiler for 3 to 5 minutes, until you see some color on the ham.
7. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Copyright 2016 Cooktop Cove